Sorry for the absence in posting folks. We had a tremendously busy and productive weekend (remember the three summer weddings that I kept going on and on about on twitter?) Second to flowers, all anyone could talk about whether or not Isaac would actually make it to New Orleans.
When a Hurricane comes to New Orleans, you can choose to hunker down and prepare for a power outage or you can make a plan to head out of the city. At about 8:00 PM on Monday night, I made the choice to head to a neighbor’s family home in the one-stoplight town of Washington, LA.
We got in later that night and settled in to for a Hurricane with a family that had been through it before. Luckily, the storm missed us for the most part and we didn’t get anything more than some average speed winds.
To pass the time, I finished my biography of Jackie O, America’s Queen, played (lots and lots) of cards, watched a ton of Bravo TV and The West Wing and tried to keep up with the goings on in New Orleans via Twitter. Here are some snapshots of this year’s Hurrication.
- A wagon that was gifted to (or pawned off on) me by the family I stayed with. I think it could be a nice outdoor addition to the new studio (with flowers and herbs growing in it).
- Awesome oak tree in the front yard. I would’ve loved climbing this guy when I was growing up.
- Garden roses survived the rains pretty well.
- Cards, lots of cards. I dominated at Casino : )
- Someone who enjoyed typography certainly made this rain gauge. It was fun to discover this guy attached to the family’s mailbox and remember that design makes everything better.
6. We got boudin sausage and cracklin on our first day in town. Y-U-M! I liked the hot boudin the most.
7. Awesome selection of polyester shirts at the Opelousas Wal-Mart. Can you guess which one I chose? Hint: Bottom row.
8. Homemade burgers at the corner Citgo station. I hear that this is the local gathering place for the men in town. I’d love to observe that.
9. “Don’t climb into the saddle unless ur ready to ride.” ‘Nuff said.
Finally, nothing like being around these dudes this week. They were one of the highlights of this week for sure.